Monday, August 17, 2009

Creature of Habit

I wonder how many other runners out there are creatures of habit. I thought about varying my route today, going a touch further than I normally go outside in our neighborhood. I didn't because I was thinking forward to my schedule the next few days and my legs were already tired, but then it occurred to me that I almost always run 1 of 2 routes outside.

A creature of habit!

Even when I run on the treadmill I kind of have a habit of paces and times at which I run. That got me to think back, and I realized that I've almost always mapped out 2-3 runs where I've lived and then just run those same runs over and over. I'm not sure why, but I just tend to stick to what I like, enjoying the familiarity.

Some of it may be my conservative nature. Some may be that I get to zone out and not think since the route and obstacles are fixed in my mind, but whatever the reason, I like sticking to what I know.

No comments: