Monday, November 7, 2011

Starting a streak

I had a friend ask for some advice on shoes lately, asking what I ran in and then some streak advice. For the shoes, I told him to go to a running store, let them watch you and give you advice. I have 2 pairs of Nikes, and enjoy them, but I also have a pair of Asics trail shoes that I like. I can't give you great advice, other than go with what you like on your feet.

For the streak, I say this. Run slowly, slower than you think you should. The first 6-7 weeks I ran, most of the time I went just over a mile, slowly (12-13min) and often felt like I'd barely worked out.

Or not worked out at all.

I participated in other events at the time, starting ski season, and going karate. You can do the same thing, especially if you think of those other activities as optional on any particular day. However for the running, do that every day. Or walk.

Do it for the mental benefits, do it for the excitement of accomplishing something every day. Just don't push faster, longer, or harder each week. Go slow, build slower, and enjoy your accomplishment.

No comments: