Monday, January 5, 2009

Setting New Limits

I’ve had a sore knee for a few weeks and recently I was talking with my Mom and, of course, she was worried. She asked me how I was doing, how it felt, etc. and I replied fine. I mean, what else can you tell your Mom?

I did tell her that I felt old, which sounded silly as soon as it came out of my mouth. I mean, how do you complain to your Mom that you’re getting old?

In any case, as I talked through it a bit with her, we agreed that you have to slow down as you get older. She’s not an athlete, but she has had a yoga-like routine that she did every morning for years and has had to change slightly. In my case, I’ve had to re-think how I exercise, especially with a bad neck as I age.

I think we can keep going, and keep strong, perhaps improve some areas of our performance as we age. Certainly we should be smarter, and be able to concentrate better. I think some of the older body builders have more discipline as they age, which is why they get great results.

I’m not in that category, but I have gotten better at some things. Running every day, running smarter, it’s something I couldn’t have done 20 years ago. I’d have pushed too hard on my body, running to a good sweat, but breaking things down. I’ve always pushed a bit hard, and then 3, 6, 9 weeks in, I need a break.

I could probably get back down to a 22min 5K, but I think I’d be hurting myself a bit and I’d damage some of my body in doing so. I don’t want to do that, I want to get my body in great shape, at this point in my life.

That means setting new limits and goals based on where I am now, not where I was 20 years ago.

No comments: