Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Zoning Out

The other day I was running outside, enjoying the summer weather. It wasn't too hot, nor too cold, and I had a few things on my mind. As I went down the road, following my normal route, I was thinking about a few pieces I need to write, trying to work out how to attack them and the message that I wanted to send.I found myself a half mile down the road, listening to a different song than I last remembered, and I couldn't remember seeing the last half mile pass.

I had zoned out.

One of the things that I think is important for regular exercise and training is the ability to zone out. You have to let the work, the effort, and the boring, monotonous nature of the activity fade out and let your mind take over. Until you can do that, the running (or swimming or whatever) becomes a chore, step after step.

That can be motivating sometime, and I know that setting goals and pushing through to those goals is helpful. For my son we worked on running from telephone pole to telephone pole sometimes, or making the next driveway, but at some point you have to be able to enjoy the time moving along.

That was critical for swimming, and when I found myself a few laps down the pool without remembering them, I knew I was in good shape and also finding a zone in swimming. That came easier in biking, and eventually running for me.

Now I look for those times. I have had them with other people, or with music, but for the most part they come when I'm running solo, thinking about some issue, and drifting away as the miles go by,

No comments: