Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Getting Outside

I don't mind running on the treadmill, especially with a TV and a movie in front of me. Most of my 168 days to date have been on the treadmill, running over the winter, late at night, or just trying to get it done quickly.

However when the weather is good, it's great to run outside. Even my cold run in Steamboat Springs was OK since there wasn't any wind. And today I had my second run in a row outside, even with plenty of reasons to run inside.

Just before lunch, I ran upstairs, changed, and was going to go watch a little more Star Trek: The Next Generation while I did a run before heading back to work. When I came downstairs, however, I saw the wind meter barely spinning and the sun shining, and decided to head outside.

I put on my headphones, sunglasses, shorts, T-shirt, no hat, and started the Nike Plus system. With a playlist running with me, I headed up the driveway, which is always tough, but not too bad today. I had no goals, no aims for speed or distance, I just jogged along, varying my pace as I noticed it. When I felt stronger I ran faster, when I struggled, I slowed.

When I got the mailbox and turned down the road, leveling out, I felt great and picked up some speed. Before I knew it, lost in the music and great day, I was at the second bus stop. I turned around, headed home, and didn't look at the iPod until I was in the driveway and started walking. A great run for Day 168.

No comments: