Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Finding a Day Off

Running every day, while great mentally, doesn’t give you a day off. I could just not run for a day, but I like this streak, and I feel good.
However I do need to manage light and hard days. With snowboarding, baseball, karate, a little weightlifting, and other activities, it’s hard to find an off day. For example, here’s a recent week for me.
Sunday run 1.5mi
Monday run 1.5mi karate
Tuesday run 1.5mi
Wednesday run 1.5 mi karate
Thursday run 1.5mi snowboarding
Friday run 1.5mi
Saturday run 2.0mi

That’s a pretty typical week, and while I don’t run specifically 1.5 mi (could be 1.4, or 1.7), that’s an “easy” day for me. A good workout is 2+ mi, and going to 3+ is hard. Not necessarily physically hard at the time, but too many of them wear on me.
I could build up to more distance, but I like my other activities.
My current plan when I go to run is “see how I feel.” and then think about what else is going on. If I feel good, I run a bit more, but temper that if I have karate or something else later that day.
If I snowboarded yesterday, even if I feel fine, I know that my body is tired, so I limit how much I might normally do. If I have nothing today or tomorrow, I’ll usually look for a longer run.
For today, no karate set up, and none tomorrow, but a couple double workouts already in the last few days, I’ll take it easy.
But tomorrow, a long run!

No comments: