Monday, September 20, 2010

It’s not the running

This whole year of 2010 it’s felt like my body was beat up, especially the legs. My knee has ached since Jan 1, though I can write that off to old age, a lack of rest, and a crash snowboarding on that date. It’s gotten better, though it seems like I continually do something to tweak it. The right ankle has rolled 3 times over the year, so almost as soon as it heals, I seem to hurt it again. Lots of chores have made my back sore a number of times.

The other day I woke up with a sore ankle; sore enough that I limped around for a few hours in the morning, wondering how the run would go. I felt better, and made it through the run, though I was sore. I wrote that off to karate the night before and was hoping that I was correct.

However the next day I woke up feeling fine. No pain, no soreness. And no karate the night before.

I think over two years I’ve learned to really listen to and respect my body, not just bullying my way through a run every day. I had major doubts I could really run for a year when I started, but I have proved to myself that it’s possible and your body can handle it.

If I can do it, I think most people can.

No comments: