Monday, February 14, 2011

Running in Snow

I was in Cleveland recently, and I have a friend there with the goal of running a marathon in every state. He's done 25 or 26, so he asked me if I'd do a Sunday morning run with him. I agreed, and we publicized it to get a few more people to run.

All day Saturday I was in Cleveland, and it was snowing the entire day. I looked outside, thinking there was no way we'd run Sunday morning. But we did. The snow had covered up the ice, and so we took off from the hotel, going about 1/2 mile before we moved onto park sidewalks. They'd been plowed by an ATV, but footing was a little slippery in places. The four of us moved slowly, shortening steps, and going slow, but not too slow. 35 minutes for 3 miles by the GPS we had.

I normally don't run on snow, and not out at my house where it's a lot of gravel. I hate the idea of getting snow in my shoes and having wet feet. This wasn't too bad, with the tops of my toes cold, but otherwise the shoes did fine.

Not sure I'll do it must back in CO, but it does make me think that I might take advantage of trips to run outside in other places, even in bad weather.

No comments: