Sunday, April 26, 2009

In or Out

The other day the weather had cleared up, it was relatively warm, not much wind (which I hate), in other words, a great day to run outside. I took a break from work, but I went down to the basement and hit the treadmill instead.

Why?

Part of the reason was that I had been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and was near the end of an episode. I wanted to see what happened, so I was pulled to see that. I don't really watch those except when I'm running, so this was a good chance to finish that.

I also was limited by time. I try to cram a bunch of work into a relatively short period of time each day, so taking extra time to run outside eats into my day. If I can minimize things, especially with karate tonight, I'd like to.

The other thing is that it wasn't great weather. 50F, slight wind, just enough of an average day that going outside, and potentially not enjoying the run wasn't something I wanted to deal with.

I have friends that hate the treadmill, and would rather run in the snow than inside. I agree there is something nice about being outside, but I've never minded the treadmill. I think some of it might be the bio-feedback that I easily get. Even with the Nike Plus system, I don't get as much feedback. Plus I'm getting a little entertainment I look forward to.

I'll probably run more outside as the weather gets hotter. I definitely prefer it when it's hot, and running outside is a bit more of a Zen feeling. But I also think that limiting the running outside means that those times I do go are more enjoyable.

No comments: