Monday, July 13, 2009

Sucking Wind

I wouldn't have thought it would matter, but after 8 days of running at sea level, I struggled my first day back outside in Parker. I'm at about 6400 ft, so a significant difference, but still, only 8 days?

I felt strong in Maryland, running up short hills (30ft of gain) easily, and taking in lots of oxygen. My normal 1.5 mi run felt like nothing. Even the long run felt pretty good, with my legs getting tired before my lungs.

However back in Denver, I did two days on the treadmill, felt OK, and then went outside for a 3 miler. Before I was at the turnaround, I could feel myself struggling to get oxygen on the slight uphills. These are probably the same 20-30 ft altitude changes along the road, but I could feel it.

Makes me really appreciate how strong altitude can make your body, and how quickly you can lose it.

No comments: