Monday, September 7, 2009

Sore Nipples

I ran a 10k one time in San Diego. It must have been in the winter because I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, and running in the cool morning air. I felt great, but after I got done, a friend asked me if I was OK. I said I felt great, and they pointed at my shirt. Two nice trails of blood ran down from my nipples on the inside of my shirt.

I'd had a good run and didn't notice. At least not until I got home and cooled down. Then I had trouble wearing a shirt for a few days and actually had to put tape on so I could walk around without wincing. Since then, on a few longer runs I've put vaseline on my nipples prior to running. It helps prevent a shirt from rubbing back and forth as you move. It works well, and it's a trick I've kept in my back pocket. However I must have forgotten a bit as the weather was cooler here recently and I didn't do anything. I ran outside with a shirt for a couple days and noticed some soreness later on. The side-to-side motion of running had the shirt rubbing, and I was sore. It reminded me of the first few times I'd go surfing each season. A little chafing then too that marked the start of trying something new. This was new since I rarely run with a shirt anymore. Most of the time I'm in the neighborhood or on the treadmill and I run without anything on top. It's more comfortable to me, and I like it. I'll run shirtless tomorrow, but for now I need to remember to use a little vaseline if I'm going to run in the cool weather in a shirt. Especially when I'm running every day.

No comments: