Monday, August 6, 2012

A Sore Knee

I pounded outside for a longer, faster run than normal recently and I knew I was hitting the ground hard. My right knee too most of the pounding for some reason.

The next morning I hit the treadmill and it was sore, but not too bad. However a day later, and an activity filled day of running, and other exercise, and it was swollen slightly, sore to the touch, and I used ice. I ran slower for a few days, and it felt better.

I've been able to run through a lot of injuries across the last 3 plus years, injuries that would have sidelined me for weeks in the past. In that time I've learned a few things, at least I think I have. I'll never know if I'd done damage here or not, but here's what I think.

The body can recover quicker than you think, at least from minor soreness-type injuries. They're injuries, but not debilitating.

Rest doesn't necessarily speed up the process much, and I think it makes it harder for you to get back into the routine of exercise, especially for us non-pro-atheletes.

Active rehabilitation is better, doing some motion and work with the body. Slowing down, and reducing the duration has worked well for me.

No comments: