Monday, June 20, 2011

Stretching

I had someone ask me how/what I stretched, so I decided to do a post.

When I was a kid, and I started running, I ended up pulling hamstrings and Achilles tendons a few times. Not badly, but they would be sore and it would be painful to walk for a few hours. I learned quickly that 2 minutes spent stretching paid off.

I still do that today, and the Gastroc stretch (#4 in this link) is what I do for a minute or two before every run. Outside or inside, I spend a couple minutes stretching.

That’s about all I do before, but I do walk briefly before I start jogging, usually 30-60sec to get a little warmed up. It depends on if I’ve been sitting at the desk or a little more active as to how long I stretch.

After running, I try to continue with a few stretches as well, usually sitting down with my legs in front of my and then leaning forward. I hold for 15-20 sec, and repeat 2-3 times. In between, I’ll also twist my waist to stretch the lower back and hips, trying to keep them loose.

I often add in a few karate stretches as well, spreading my legs apart and leaning forward.

A few things to keep in mind. I’m fairly flexible naturally, so I don’t worry too much about this, but I keep an eye on it. I also have been looking at more stretches, and there are some more stretches that I’d like to add in. This link has a few more that I’ll probably add in to make sure that as I lessen my karate time, I don’t get hurt from a lack of flexibility.

No comments: