Monday, November 10, 2008

Two Months

I thought about writing this at 60 days, then at 61, since both of those are what most of the two calendar length months are. I guess I could have written it at 59 days since February brings us two months with that length, but I decided to go for 62 days, the maximum length for two months.

I have to say I've very proud of myself for getting this far. I've heard that two weeks is the time it takes to make a habit, but I still had to force myself to run through some pain at that point. After 3 weeks it seemed I had a nice stretch where it was easy to run, I started to get them done during the day, I figured out how to get it done on the road, and felt good. Then last week I pulled some muscles and was tempted to skip a couple times. But I persevered.

I don't feel like I'm in great shape, but I do feel like I'm doing something every day and combined with karate, I think I have a good plan for lifelong health. I'm not sure I can keep running forever, but finding 20 minutes to go get exercise every day and building that habit is a good one.

I can start to see how people do this. My wife wasn't sure anyone could do this for years and years, but I've had what I considered a pretty good hamstring pull and still could run through it. A lightly sprained ankle probably would not have stopped me either. Without a catastrophic injury, which I haven't had in a long time, I think I could run most every day.

No comments: