Monday, August 24, 2009

Neosporin is my friend

Actually any triple antibiotic works well. We have a few brands at the house, but they help.

Most runners probably don't have this issue, but I play baseball in addition to running and there are times when I'll slide into a base, leaving a nice selection of my skin on the ground or the inside of my baseball pants. Similar to road rash, I end up with an open scrape on my knee or shin a few times a year. If you fall while running, you'll probably get the same thing.

One thing my wife taught me is that you want to keep the skin moist. While you don't want an infection, if you shower regularly, you are probably OK there. The bigger thing is that it might scar, and that the skin tightens up as it grows back. So a little Neosporin a couple times a day keeps it softer, and it's easier to run. I don't have that tightness in the outside of the skin.

Makes for an easier run. One less thing to notice and distract me from the zone.

No comments: