Monday, August 31, 2009

Slow Change

One of the things that I've learned in almost a year of running is that you have to move carefully. You can't jump mileage or speed up too quickly, and you can't over-react to pains. I've had friends ask me if the constant running is beating up my body, and for the most part I don't think it has.

But I also monitor. When I have aches and pains, I pay attention to them. I listen to my body day after day, sometimes going slower or running less, trying to see what my body tells me. Using that process, I've had my body heal itself from numerous bumps, bruises, strains, twists, etc. over the year.

If something hurts, do less, and see what happens. If it goes away, you're healing. If it doesn't, and I've had things hurt for a couple weeks, at some point I would go see a doctor and have it examined.

No comments: